Monday 14 October 2013

Monday Makery - Fabric Light Garland



I've had the idea of making a knitted garland of christmas lights for a while and still not taken up the knitting needles. I wouldn't know how or where to begin and my knitting skills, just about matching my crochet skills, means I can either make a long scarf or a thin tube like strand. So, until these skills improve (it'll probably be my children who end up teaching me) I've adapted the idea to suit my capabilities. All the skills required is a little cutting and sewing which suits me and the lazy weather feel of this weekend just fine.

Here's what you'll need:
  • cotton fabric or felt
  • needle and thread
  • card, pencil and scissors
  • miniature wooden cotton reals ( I found these at a little craft shop but have since found more here). Alternatively you could use a large cylindrical bead.
  • ribbon or embroidery thread or bakers twine
  • fabric stuffing



Here's how:
  1. Draw onto card a template of the light bulb shape. Be a little more generous in your size as you'll loose some of width when its padded out with stuffing. Cut it out.
  2. Use your template to draw the same shape onto the back of your fabric. You'll need 2 pieces for each bulb. Cut out your bulb shapes.
  3. Pin the pieces of fabric together back to back, so the outsides are in fact facing each other and sew around the edges leaving the top part of the 'bulb' open with enough space to fill with the fabric stuffing. 
  4. Turn right side out and fill with fabric stuffing. It helps to use the end of a pencil to push the stuffing inside.
  5. Take your measure of string and tie a knot at the ends. Place the knotted end inside the top of the bulb and secure it in place as you sew along the final edge.
  6. Now, thread on the wooden cotton reel pulling the string and pushing the cotton reel over the top of the fabric so it holds firmly in place. You're ready to hang. 
You can either make a garland with the bulbs, string them along fairy lights, hang from the tree or even use them to decorate the gift wrapping. I love the spotted versions we made and i'd love to find some striped red and white fabric and create a matching set, or perhaps some really fab neon colours. 

The girls have since used them to decorate the home of their Maileg mice and bunny families so perhaps I'll never get to use this set for our Christmas decorations maybe I will have to learn to knit after all!


Happy Making

sisters guild . com

No comments:

Post a Comment