Monday 28 February 2011

Monday Makery - Gabe's Easy Raisin Sponge

Making a sponge cake fulfils many things including keeping little hands busy on a rainy afternoon  (or any time really), and having a focused thing to do together that results in a home-made treat.
For me personally (as a non-baker) the greatest fulfilment is baking a cake that actually works.
This is a doddle!

My son and I now know this recipe off-by-heart.
He tells me the amounts each time we do the weighing...that helps, as I can forget!

I really hope my son will always know how to bake this cake...and I can imagine it will impress quite a few girls when he's older.



The recipe is in actual fact based on your simple Victorian Sponge recipe with a generous handful of raisins. Simple as that.
It was Gabriel who decided to add the raisins. They sink to the bottom of the cake -  the WI probably wouldn't approve but it's delicious!

I probably don't need to tell you the ingredients...
  • 150g softened butter or marg (olive oil spread is fine too)
  • 150g caster sugar (or any other sugar you may have)
  • 3  medium eggs
  • 150g self raising flour - (wheat free flour works too - Dove's Farm do a good one)
  • A generous handful of raisins

    In the oven on 180 for only 25 minutes.
It really is a fuss-free bung ingredients together kind of cake - make a mess and hey presto there's a sponge cake.

It's the making and having a giggle that's important. Oh, and eating the lot before Daddy comes home!

Ping, just out the oven! Nom Nom.
x

1 comment:

  1. Tossing the raisins in a little of the flour before putting them into the mixture can help them not sink according to my mum. Sounds like yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete