Monday 11 February 2013

Monday Makery - Patchwork Flowerpots



Valentines Day and Mothers day is soon upon us and both days are days we show our love and appreciation. We want to make sure we give the people we love something that will last and something they can keep as reminder of our love. I love the idea of giving people seeds or bulbs as a gift, something that can grow bigger each day. So we've set about making fabric covered flower pots. As you can see they're still wet but once they're dry we'll get planting.
I'm going to make pretty envelopes with seeds inside with the words 'love grows bigger every day' written upon them to give to the girls on valentines morning. They'll have fun planting the seeds and taking care of them as they watch them grow and blossom into beautiful flowers. 
They're so easy and so fun to make and with little materials you can turn a boring plastic pot into a beautiful planter or storage pot. 
I'm planning on making a small stack of pots for my mama too for Mothers Day with her favourite flowers panted in each one. I'd like to have a row of them upon my desk for keeping my pens and pencils in too! So I'll be sure the girls show their daddy how to make them. 

Here's what you'll need:
  • flower pots - we used standard plastic ones
  • PVA glue
  • bowl
  • water
  • fabric
Here's how:

  1. Cut strips of fabric, 
  2. mix PVA glue with water in a 50/50 ratio 
  3. glue your strips of fabric onto the pot as neatly or as randomly as you like, smoothing out each piece as you go to avoid creases.
Even though I took a more mathematical approach to mine; measuring the top of the flower pot dividing that number between the number of fabric strips to get the width of each fabric and then the same for tapering the fabric at the bottom I think Oona's looks so much better for having just gone with the flow of it.

If you'd like to have your pots kept outside you will have to varnish them to make them waterproof and to seal the fabric from the elements. 

Happy Making



If you're looking for more craft ideas for a token of love why not try these here


or these here :








1 comment:

  1. I love these, we made some last year and they make me smile all the time

    ReplyDelete