Gabe has even started sitting with the book and flicking through asking questions and requesting to do certain recipes, which fills me with joy. It has definitely become THE family cookbook and is very reliable for all the basic recipes and cooking tips.
One of our favourite recipes is the Banana Bread. We've adapted it a little - swapping the caster sugar for Fruit Sugar and Self-Raising flour for Gluten Free Self-Raising flour so it is less likely to flare up Gabe's Ezcema.
Dried Apricots 75g
Unsalted butter 100g (we use olive oil spread and it works fine)
Caster Sugar 125g (can substitute with Fruit Sugar 100g)
Eggs 2 large
Bananas 3 large ripe
Self-raising flour 200g (Gluten Free Flour can be used - Dove's Farm do a good one)
- Preheat Oven to 160 degrees C / Gas Mark 3. Line the loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Chop up apricot pieces and grate the lemon zest. (we actually skipped the lemon zest bit)
- Cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until creamy. Beat in both eggs. Add the dried fruit and lemon zest (a squeeze of a lemon is just as good - my boy likes the 'geeezing')
- Mash the bananas well with the fork and add to bowl. Stir well.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and fold into the mixture.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin. Put into the oven for 50 mins - 1 hour.
- When it's out of the oven leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before you turn it onto a wire rack.
- Slice, grab & enjoy
We always have to scoff some when it's still warm, though we know that banana bread is actually even more tasty the next day - if it lasts that long!
Thank you River Cottage Family Cookbook
We have more Monday Makery craft & recipe ideas here.
For behind the scenes photos of Sisters Guild we have the gallery of the A-Z of Sisters Guild here.