Thursday 7 June 2012

Around The World With You - Kat Molesworth


pic C of google maps

Here is a woman who should need no introduction, but because there's so much we want to say about her we're going to give one anyway.
Kat goes by the name of @thatkat on twitter, but we call her the oracle, I've never known her not to know the answer to anything and she manages to squeeze the answers into the 140 twitter character allowance. She's funny, scarily smart, and brilliantly inspirational. 
Kat blogs at housewifeconfidential - a no holes barred family blog full of all the beauty and raw emotion of real family living along with some delicious recipes, inspiration and truths wrapped up in a parcel of beautiful writing as well as some of the best photography, it is no wonder she has been a finalist in the MADS 2011 and nominated again this year. 
Our children want to be adopted by her, and her family are a credit to the mother, wife and general superwoman she is.
Though that's not all. Kat is a features and travel editor for the seriously stylish, fabulous fun finding, go-to website bambinogoodies where the  best of everything baby, child, mama, decor and all that's inbetween can be discovered.
And there's more; Kat has recently launched (along with her business partner Kat Goldin) a new adventure with Capturing Childhood, a series of  creative eCourses in recording memories through picture and film
I don't know how she even has time to get dressed in the morning, but I'm assured she does!

So as we begin our new blog series Around The World With You, we, of course, were hugely curious as to where Kat's favourite place is and why. So here it is, the first in the series.  


Beer, Devon, UK.

The first time I visited Beer I was 11, on a residential school trip to Lyme Regis. I rode the miniature steam train at Pecorama with a boy I imagined I was in love with. The next time I visited Beer I was 21 and holding hands with the man I had fallen wildly in love with. We visited the quarry caves, ambled down Fore Street, skipped over the river and kissed on the cliffs over-looking the beach. It’s no coincidence that I returned there with the love of my life. Beer bewitched me on that first visit and it’s had a place in my heart ever since.

Beer is a village nestled between steep cliffs. Its history is rich with fishing, lace, stone masonry and smuggling. These days the fishing boats still thrive but the streets are lined with tourists rather than fish guts. My favourite spot is the allotments on the cliff top – I have two pieces of art depicting that scene in my home.

It’s great in the summer, the cool sea is thronged with swimmers and boats but for me I love to visit in the Autumn. The crowds are thinner and the lingering smell of wood smoke in the air pulls at my heartstrings. Mooch around the art galleries, grab a pasty from Woozie’s and wander down to the crashing sea; you’ll love it.


It is wonderful, the influence a place can have on us, the feeling it gives, the memories made there, a place we often go to again and again even if it is through pictures and memories. I wonder how many other people have kissed upon the cliffs and held hands walking down the shore and the streets of this beautiful place. 
Places like people have special corners of our hearts and we want to say thank you to Kat for sharing her favourite place with all of us and here's to all of those kisses yet to come upon the cliffs looking over the beach.

Where's your favourite place? Perhaps it's granny's garden, your local park, a holiday destination, a museum, or cafe. Perhaps it's a building in your city, a shop window, a shady spot under a tree. Holly Golightly, played by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's says:

"Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in  a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name."

Whatever, wherever your favourite place is we want to share it. All you need to do to take part is send us a picture, if you can, of your favourite place and tell us where it is. If you'd like to tell us why even better. We will share each one, each week, here on our blog and we will create an interactive global map of all the places we receive, building a community of people and places and making our global neighbourhood that little bit closer.


Email us your place to:  info@sistersguild.com

So, put your place upon the map and shout a big 'Hello'
Imagine all the people all the places we could know




This is part of 'The Art of Living' collection. We also have other stories and features including our 'Monday Makery', 'I Spy' and our weekly 'Wednesday Woo'. Check out our Summer Fun too with 100 ideas for fun games and play this summer. If you want to see our latest loves take a look here.
Want to take a look behind the scenes of Sisters Guild? Take a look at our A-Z here where we share a sentimental journey through family life.

If you'd like to receive our weekly newsletter to receive offers and news and find out the about our new collections sign up below.


sistersguild.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! I could talk about lovely Beer all day - let's run away to the sea...

    ReplyDelete