Tuesday 18 October 2011

Tell Us it's Tuesday: Rachael of All Abroad Baby

When we first launched Sisters Guild we found many admirable women who were inspired to start a business after becoming mamas - we certainly know the dedication and hours involved!  Rachael of All Abroad Baby is one such talented mama from Australia. Her connection to the UK reads like quite a romantic one as her Scottish grandparents came to Australia on the £10 boat tickets in 1945, Rachael spent most of her twenties in London (a city she loves) where she worked for magazines such as TNT, Top of the Pops magazine, heat, Closer and Good Homes, and Rachael also met her husband here (and this is where we have a Somerset connection as he's from our own beloved west country!).

Now settled in Sydney with her son and a baby on the way, Rachael has just launched All Abroad Baby, a place that brings together design inspiration for mums and their little ones from all over the globe.  'How did she do it?' we hear you cry! Well, I can tell you this:  All Abroad Baby was developed from a passion for good design, a love of learning about different places, a seriously good eye for detail and style-savviness, an amazing career and a studious mind, along with a wonderful vision of connecting people and online boutiques from all over the world.  It's an astounding achievement and a beautiful site to navigate - you can literally shop the world!

We've got to know Rachael over the past year and there is talk of some west country tea and cake on her next visit to England.  In the meantime, we just had to know a bit more about our gorgeous antipodean 'sister' ...

Rachael with her son in Singapore

On waking the first 3 things I do are…
Tiptoe around so that I don't wake my son (who I'm very lucky sleeps until about 8-9am!). Make a cup of tea. Check my emails.

If I had a superpower it would be…
To freeze time around me so that I could fit more into my day.

If I could trade places for a day with someone it would be…
If it was just for a day I'd have to say The Queen.

If someone wrote a story about me the title would be…
How to try and see the positive in everything.

When I was seven years old…
I put on my own circus for the kids who lived on my street.

If you open my fridge you will see
Baby yoghurts, adult single-serve yoghurts (my husband's) and a large tub of yoghurt (mine)... all 3 of us love it.

My favourite view is…
from Cape Byron Lighthouse, the most easterly point in Australia, Byron Bay.

The 3 things I will tell my children are…
Cultivate joy from within and this comes from learning to master your mind and emotions.
Try to leave your mark, however small, in whatever domain suits you.
If you want to be happy in life you have to take responsibility for yourself.

The song or musical piece for the theme tune of my life is…
Here Comes The Sun, The Beatles.

I used to be…
A ballet dancer.

My biggest guilty pleasures are…
Chocolate, er, chocolate, and, um, chocolate.

My wardrobe is…
Currently full of maternity but usually a little more boho.

Never have I ever…
Been to Antarctica.

My kids taught me…
How to truly live in the moment.

Life is like a…
An epic journey with lots of scenic detours.

My earliest memory is…
When I was 2... my dad picking me the last flower from a tree in our garden in our house in Malaysia.

My underwear drawer…
Is yet again full of maternity bras as I'm due to have my second baby in 10 weeks.

I feel like running for the hills when….

The bathroom needs cleaning.

On my teenage bedroom wall there was…
Prince and Madonna posters.

My ideal partner would have the mind of Einstein and the skills of Jamie Oliver (and my husband's pretty close!)


Thank you Rachael you worldy-wise woman! So, Antarctica is your last continent to explore? I loved reading the things you will tell your children and your beautiful earliest memory. With love and luck for All Abroad Baby and your soon to arrive new baby too! x  


This is part of our new series of Tuesday blog posts where we ask you to tell us all. We wanted a fun way way to get to know the people behind the blogs and businesses we follow. We have more people lined up to reveal themselves and may be asking you too!


We also publish other series in our blog including our Monday Makery, Wednesday we show you our favourite seasonal pieces and Thursdays is dedicated to the 'Art of Living' in which we share ideas and inspiration from places to visit, things to see and articles about things that enrich our lives.


www.sistersguild.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment